Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) - What is it?
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a process that allows you to show Gymnastics Australia that you already have the knowledge and skills to safely coach gymnastics. If you can successfully demonstrate your coaching abilities, you may be able to gain a coaching accreditation with Gymnastics Australia.
If you believe that you have already acquired the competencies set down for a particular Gymnastics Australia accredited course, you may formally apply to have these skills recognised.
Please note – RPLs are only available to coaches who can provide evidence that they gained the requisite knowledge/skills outside the Gymnastics Australia education framework (for example, by providing evidence of international coaching accreditations).
Fees - How much does an RPL cost?
The cost of an RPL depends on the level of accreditation you wish to attain.
The RPL fee covers your first year of Technical Membership with Gymnastics Australia, as well as administration and assessment fees.
RPL Process Overview
Typically, an RPL involves completing the following tasks:
1. Complete the following RPL application form. The application form requires the individual to upload:
a. Evidence of their Coaching Qualifications / Accreditations.
b. WWCC or International Police Check. If the coach has lived overseas for 12 months in the past 10 years, they must upload a police check. The police check must be obtained within the last 3 months.
c. A statement of work experience, including contact details of two referees*.
d. A letter of recommendation from their most recent gymnastics employer*.
e. A letter of recommendation from their previous National Gymnastics federation(s)*.
f. Evidence of completing the Sport Integrity Australia 'Child Safeguarding in Sport Induction' online course.
g. An Australian First Aid course (course codes HLTAID011) certificate. This is only required for Advanced level (and above) RPLs.
Please note - the RPL candidate will be contacted by Gymnastics Australia once they have submitted their application.
2. Create a Gymnastics Australia account.
3. Pay for the RPL. Payment is made via FLEX.
4. Complete 'The Athlete's Voice' and the 'Every Body is Unique' courses on FLEX.
5. An assessor will review the RPL application. The assessor may contact with the coach to organise a face-to-face assessment.
6. Gymnastics Australia's integrity team will complete an integrity check. If they are cleared, the coach will be awarded the relevant accreditation.
* Please be aware that if you are already a Technical Member with Gymnastics Australia, you do not need to submit the letter of recommendations or a statement of work experience. This requirement is for international candidates only.
How do I apply for an RPL?
Prior to commencing an RPL, please familiarise yourself with Gymnastics Australia's current RPL Policies and RPL Process Document (attached below to this article).
To complete the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) Application form, please click here.
How long does an RPL take?
RPL’s typically take a minimum of 1-3 months to complete, and you are not guaranteed to receive an accreditation.
Other important information
Please be aware you that if you choose to pursue an Advanced Silver or High Performance RPL, you will not gain a FIG 2 or FIG 3 Certificate.
That is, if you achieve the Advanced Silver or High Performance accreditation from the RPL process, this accreditation will only be recognised within Australia.
In addition - if you achieve an Advanced Silver accreditation via RPL, you will be ineligible to go on to complete the High Performance / FIG 3 course.
For more information about RPLs, please contact us.