Clubs can refer to a range of resources and information to assist with running their business depending on their entity type;

Because legislation differs in each state and territory, it is difficult to outline detailed requirements for incorporated associations, but an incorporated association may need to:
  • have a committee, responsible for managing the association
  • have a public officer and notify any changes in that position
  • have a registered office in its state of incorporation
  • act in accordance with its objects and rules
  • hold an annual general meeting once every calendar year
  • lodge an annual statement every year
  • keep proper accounting records and, in some states, prepare, have audited and lodge financial statements
  • keep minutes of all committee and general meetings.
  • keep registers of members and all committee members
  • have a common seal.
For more information about incorporating an association and post-incorporation obligations, visit the website of your relevant state or territory authority.
State/TerritoryLink to authority

Australian Capital Territory

Access Canberra

New South Wales

Office of Fair Trading

Northern Territory

Dept of Attorney-General and Justice


Office of Fair Trading

South Australia

SA Government


Consumer, Building and Occupational Services


Consumer Affairs Victoria
Western AustraliaGovernment of Western Australia


An unincorporated association differs from an incorporated association in that it:
  • Cannot own land or enter contracts under its own name
  • Employ people
  • Sue or be sued
Unincorporated associations are generally registered as a charity but must abide by specific guidelines.
Further information can be found on the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission website.


Clubs may not be able to register as either an incorporated or unincorporated entity, and may instead elect to register as either a:
  • Sole trader
  • Partnership
  • Company
  • Trust

For further information about these different structures, please visit the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC) website.


Clubs can use this free service to view your or another organisation's Australian Business Number (ABN) or Trading Name.

To access the service or update/modify your ABN, please visit the ABN Lookup website.

Please note: Brand new/newly affiliating clubs who have had their Legal/trading/ABN name confirmed, must still check with their applicable STA if the club name does not conflict with Gymnastics Australia's Club Name Policy.

Disclaimer: Please note that this information is not intended to constitute legal advice and is provided by Gymnastics Australia as general information only. You should not rely on it without first verifying the accuracy, completeness and currency of the material, its relevance to your individual circumstances and, where appropriate, obtaining specific legal advice. Gymnastics Australia does not make any warranties for the information contained herein in regard to compliance with the National Affiliation Standards.
Got any questions? Please submit a support request.